Monday, August 18, 2014

Kiss of the Damned (A Vampire Film That Doesn't Suck!)

Score: 8 Out Of 10

           Whenever someone begins to tell me about what they describe as an "artistic" vampire film my eyes role (they did just now while i was typing that sentence). Memories of shitty Anne Rice films flash across my mind and I am annoyed with a film long before I even watch it. So you can imagine my mind set when a friend ranted to me about how good "Kiss of the Damned" is. "Kiss of the Damned (2013)" was directed by Xan Cassavetes and stars Josephine de la Baume, Milo Ventimiglia and Roxanne Mesquida. The story tells of a vampire woman that falls in love with a mortal man. She changes him into a vampire and they live blissfully until the woman's sister shows up and starts causing trouble for the whole vampire community. So let me just say that I was wrong. I judged this movie way too early and regret putting off watching it for so long because it did really turn out to be a goody. It was well acted, well written and well directed. The dialogue was very good as well. I really enjoyed the scene where a group of vampires sit around after a party and discuss vampire politics and their over all role in the world.

       The aspect of this film that I enjoyed the most was the story. The film does such a good job of building the characters and presenting them with a challenge that I genuinely cared about our vampire couple and really wanted them to have a happy ending. It is very rare for me to watch a movie about vampires and actually see them as anything more than just monster movie stereotypes. All in all, "Kiss" a good film made in the same vein as the 1960's European vampire films that I loved so much. There is blood, sex and cool imagery and a really cool story to tie it all together. It is definitely worth your time and money.

Love, 
   The B-Movie Guy
Twitter: @BMovieguy

No comments:

Post a Comment