Monday, January 20, 2014

Where the Buffalo Roam (Murray as Thompson)

Score: 8 out of 10

       I will start by saying I am absolutely floored that I had no idea this movie even existed until two weeks ago. What is even more shocking is that it was actually pretty good. "Where the Buffalo Roam" was directed by Art Linson and Stars Peter Boyle, Bill Murray and Bruno Kirby. The film tells the (tall) tales of legendary journalist Hunter S. Thompson. In fact, large parts of the film are based on Thompson's books "Fear and Loathing at the Superbowl" and "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72." How much of the film is factual is open to debate. The big question here is how does Murray do portraying Thompson. The answer is pretty well. Murray spent quite a bit of time with the famed "gonzo journalist" before and while filming and really nailed the his mannerisms. I think it is important to note that this is one of those few films where Bill Murray steps out of his own persona. Even in Wes Anderson movies, there is something about Bill that just puts a stamp on the movie. It becomes a "Bill Murray movie." This is the first time I have really seen a movie starring Mr. Murray where it really was not a "Bill Murray movie."

       The other key component here is Peter Boyle. I felt while watching it that this was really one of Boyle's best performances. I absolutely loved every scene he was in. I laughed because of him and got angry with him. It was just all around fun. The downside is 1998's "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." That movie has become so ingrained with most people and there idea of who HST was that I feel this film might be hard for most to bear. Honestly though, if you could put that movie out of your head and just take this one in, I promise it will be worth it. I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... 

Love,
   The B-Movie Guy
Facebook: B-Movie Guy   Twitter: @BMovieGuy   #WhereTheBuffaloRoam   #BMovieBlog

No comments:

Post a Comment