Monday, April 2, 2012

Bloody Birthday (Way Cooler Than My Parties Ever Were)

Score: 6 Out Of 10
       In 1974, "Black Christmas" was released. Most horror fans are in agreeance that this is the film that started the "slasher" sub-genre of horror films (although I swear I've seen films that date as far back as the early 1930's that share in the same formula as "Black Christmas", this is just the first to experience any kind of popularity) and since it's release there have have been countless other films added to that sub-genre. Over the years I have seen horror movie psychos (both human and supernatural) mow down a seemingly endless parade of naked and semi-clothed teenagers. But I have to admit, I think this one actually showed me something new. The ruthless killer that beats, strangles and shoots it's victims to death is really just three young kids (they look to be about 11 or 12). The film stars Lori Lethin, Melinda Cordell and Julie Brown. It was written and directed by Ed Hunt.

       The plot is simple enough. Three kids who share the same birthday decide to celebrate it by killing their teachers, classmates and parents and seem to really have fun with it all the way through the movie. This movie, despite the fact that it's antagonists are children, still delivers on all the nudity and violence we've come to expect from 1980's slasher films over the years, so if sex and violence is your thing don't rule this movie out. The writing isn't bad, it could have been better, but what really sells you here is the acting. It was very easy for me to buy into really hating these kids, which in hind sight makes me sad because I really like kids. All in all, I'm gonna say this was a really entertaining film. There were some unintentional laughs but over all it was pretty good.


Love,
  The B-movie Guy

Twitter: @BMovieguy   #Bmovieblog   #Bloodybirthday

P.s.
I hope my kid doesn't turn out like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment